Follow these quick and easy steps for carving up a safe but fun time!
1. Make it a fun family day out and visit a local supermarket, pumpkin patch, or farmers market to pick out your pumpkin.
2. Choose a design to use for carving your pumpkin.
3. Draw your design on the pumpkin with crayon or a marker. Make sure it wipes off!
4. This step is best for the parents. Find the appropriate knives or cutting tools to use to cut out your designs.
5. Find a spacious work area. You will want to lay down newspaper or something to protect the surface, all while making for an easy clean up.
6. Measure a circle with about 2 inches radius from the stem. You'll cut around this circle to make the lid. Do not make the cut completely vertical: instead, angle the point of the knife in towards the center of the circle. The lid will then sit in a bowl-shaped indentation that prevents it from falling into the center of the pumpkin.
7. Remove the filling from the pumpkin. You'll want to use a large spoon or your hands to pull all of the filling and seeds out. Scrape it as clean as you can, so that more light can shine through.
8. Start carving out your design. Be sure to use a gentle back and forth motion to cut into the pumpkin, and take your time! Follow your pattern until you have completed your design.
9. Choose a light source to illuminate your pumpkin. Flashlights and flickering LEDs are a safer option to use.
10. The hard part is done! Now find a safe place to display your pumpkin. Enjoy!
Check out these free patterns and easy tutorial video from our friends at Pumpkin Masters!